Introduction text below heading.
Elwick Bay, 1920s (above)
Elwick Bay was once the tribal country of the Mou.he.neen.ner people.
Elwick Bay was once the tribal country of the Mou.he.neen.ner people. The richness of the dynamic ‘aboriginal landscape’ would have included “open dry sclerophyll forest dominated by eucalypts… mid story plants with an understorey of sags, native grasses and numerous native herbaceous plants” and supported a diverse range of flora and fauna activities of the local people. (L.Maynard ‘An Aboriginal Heritage Values Survey of the Wilkinson’s Point & Elwick Bay master Plan’, 2007). The indigenous flora and fauna of this landscape changed significantly due to farming, industrial activity, building development, transport infrastructure and land reclamation over 200 years of colonial and contemporary development.
From the 1820s, in the early years of colonial settlement, Glenorchy was dominated by farming estates and orchards. From the 1860s and 70s a diverse range of enterprises within the area had emerged including a tannery, a soap factory, a hat factory, fruit preserving factories, and even tourism with the area renowned for its scenic values (p.59, 66, Glenorchy 1804-1964, A. Alexander, GCC, 1986). During this time there was growth in the migrant population significantly contributing to the diversity and prosperity of the area and still today Glenorchy has a higher proportion of cultural diversity than Tasmania as a whole.
Elwick Bay, 1957 (above)
…the clear sparkling water of Montrose Bay was crowded with swimmers
From the 1870s the site named ‘The Grove’ on the shores of Elwick Bay adjacent to Humphrey’s Rivulet, formed part of the largest Hop farm in Tasmania. Remnants of the poplar grove are still visible from the Brooker Highway. The Tasmanian Race Course at Elwick opened for races in 1875 on land owned by pharmacist John Wilkinson (p. 70) bringing members of the community together in a festive environment. Across the road this atmosphere was complemented with the first Royal Agricultural Society of Tasmania show in 1904. In addition by the 1930s less formal social activities on the foreshore evolved and ‘…the clear sparkling water of Montrose Bay was crowded with swimmers.’ (p. 112). By that time the swimmers would have looked across the bay to Cadbury’s chocolate factory established on Dogsear Point at Claremont in 1923. Water sports increased with the opening of the Montrose Bay Yacht Club in 1955 and continue today including the Montrose Bay Rowing Club and Hobart Outrigger Canoe Club.
Large, medium and small-scale industries are a feature of Glenorchy with large-scale industry and employment in the area marked by the opening of the Zinc refinery in 1916 just east of the GASP! site. The refinery continues as a prominent and highly visible part of the Glenorchy landscape, so too does road infrastructure including the Brooker Highway and Bowen Bridges which have has rapidly increased the rate of commercial activity in the region. And while the Brooker Highway brings people to and through Glenorchy, it effectively dislocated the foreshore from the local population and interrupted casual social use.
Elwick Bay, 1975 (above)
…the Council continues to take strategic actions to promote the values and potential of Elwick Bay by creating a place of state and national significance.
Community activity grew at Elwick Bay when Rosetta High School (now Montrose Bay High School) opened in 1965 and in 1988 with the Derwent Entertainment Centre constructed as a bicentenary project on site adjacent to the race course on reclaimed land. In the same year, just further east at Dowsing Point, Technopark, a centre for hi-tech industries opened.
The Glenorchy Art & Sculpture Park (GASP!), located within a linear stretch of public space from Wilkinson’s Point to Montrose Bay, was first conceived through conversations in 2006 between Mayor Adriana Taylor and advocates passionate about developing a unique public space for families and the Tasmanian community. In 2008 a full time Project Development Officer and a committed group of eminent arts, civic and business leaders in consultation with the community advanced the vision. As land-owner and main stake-holder the Council continues to take strategic actions to promote the values and potential of Elwick Bay by creating a place of state and national significance.
Elwick Bay, 2005 (below)
Elwick Bay Foreshore
Brooker Highway 7010
03 6216 6373
GASP Head Office – Glenorchy City Council
374 Main Road Glenorchy
Glenorchy Art and Sculpture Park is a Not-for-Profit Australian Public Company Limited by Guarantee
ACN 145 591 304.